“It may seem odd, but I believe that being a doctor is a lot like being a musician,” says the man who for years led and drummed for Big Band Reprise, an 18-member swing ensemble from central Nebraska that recreates the sights and sounds of the Big Band Era. “We both master our instruments and we both love to personalize an experience, whether it’s wowing an audience or wowing our clients and their families.”
Drumming isn’t always all fun and games for Dr. Krysl. His benefit concerts to raise funds and awareness for the storm-devastated communities of Deshler and Hallam led the Nebraska Optometric Association in 2004 to recognize the doctor with a Presidential Citation for his efforts.
- Graduated from Northeastern State University in Tahlequah, Oklahoma
- While at NSU he was named Outstanding 1st Year Student, awarded the Silhouette Scholarship for Excellence in the study of Optometry, and received the Pheiffer Award for Excellence in Research related to Refraction
- Also earned a B.A. degree in Music Education and a M.A. degree in Educational Administration from the University of Nebraska at Kearney
- Taught instrumental music at both Gretna High School (1980-81) and Kearney High School(1981-1991)
- Was named Outstanding Young Band Director by the Nebraska Bandmasters’ Association in 1987
Dr. Krysl and his wife, Shirley, have two grown children and two future drummers (grandchildren).